“Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth.”
– Muhammad Ali
Contributing to the Catholic Worker House, whether through a financial donation, cooking or ordering us a hot, fresh meal, purchasing household items or volunteering, helps our residents beyond measure. It’s because of the support and generosity of our donors and volunteers that we are able to provide shelter for so many members of our community.
“Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile.”
How Your Support Helps
- In 2019, we provided approximately 6,939 nights of shelter, serving 222 individuals. That’s 222 people who had a warm meal, a soft bed, and a sense of belonging while they were in our home.
- We have had a volunteer from our board, Steve Determan, working diligently on our new addition, CWHx. We were able to open in March and then in November had the house full with 4 families for the first time!
- In the last week of January 2018 we were blessed to receive new cupboards, sink and countertops for our kitchen at CWH. Thank you Cabinets Galore!
- In 2016 we began working with Waypoint/Shelter Services to coordinate entry for all of our clients to the shelter. In 2017 we began to take people who were literally homeless before anyone else. That means those folks who are living on the streets, in a car or in another place not meant for habitation will have top preference for shelter beds. In 2019 we were able to serve 222 individuals that consisted of married couples and single women with or without
- During 2018 we will start to work more with outreach after our clients move out. We want to make sure we can help meet the need before the shelter is needed.
- With the help of all of our loyal volunteers we were able to serve 13,878 meals in 2019!
We have continual needs like meal donation, paper item donation and financial assistance.
If you would like to sign up for our weekly email please send a note to Larissa @ firstname.lastname@example.org
- Chaperone activities on weekends
- Help as handy-man around the house
- Make a meal once a month for the house
- Volunteer as a tutor with the kids
- Come and help at the house while we also have another staff on duty!
- We will be looking for volunteers to help to decorate the rooms and common areas at CWHx
To volunteer at Catholic Worker House, call Larissa or Jasmine at 319-362-9041.