“Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth.”
– Muhammad Ali
Contributing to the Catholic Worker House, whether through a financial donation, cooking or ordering us a hot, fresh meal, purchasing household items or volunteering, helps our residents beyond measure. It’s because of the support and generosity of our donors and volunteers that we are able to provide shelter for so many members of our community.
How Your Support Helps
- In 2017, we provided approximately 7,000 nights of shelter, serving 292 individuals. That’s 292 people who had a warm meal, a soft bed, and a sense of belonging while they were in our home.
- We have had a volunteer from our board, Steve Determan, working diligently on our new addition, CWHx. Please stay tuned for more details!
- We are working to get the current house’s kitchen remodeled. We are working with Community Development Block Grant funds that we were awarded through their competitive grant process.
- In 2016 we began working with Waypoint/Shelter Services to coordinate entry for all of our clients to the shelter. In 2017 we began to take people who were literally homeless before anyone else. That means those folks who are living on the streets, in a car or in another place not meant for habitation will have top preference for shelter beds.
- During 2018 we will start to work more with outreach after our clients move out. We want to make sure we can help meet the need before the shelter is needed.
We have continual needs like meal donation, paper item donation and financial assistance.
- Chaperone activities on weekends
- Help as handy-man around the house
- Make a meal once a month for the house
- Volunteer as a tutor with the kids
- Come and help at the house while we also have another staff on duty!
- We will be looking for volunteers to help to decorate the rooms and common areas at CWHx
To volunteer at Catholic Worker House, call Larissa or Jasmine at 319-362-9041.